Kitchen Yoga is born

December 26, 2010


It's the day after Christmas, and a merry belated Christmas to anyone reading this. I'm sitting on my couch, with the t.v on, in my pajamas, hair wet and a can of lemonade at my side. This, has become my life, my job. Day after day, I pretty much do the exact same thing. When we first moved here, I knew I was taking on a job at a seasonal hotel. I didn't really imagine that I would have to do the whole unemployment thing. I thought maybe there would be a very slight chance, but put more faith in the fact I would find something. Turns out, practically everyone of the cape works seasonal jobs and almost everyone is on unemployment now. I probably should have started to freak out during the summer months when hotel guests would spark up conversation with me and when I told him that I moved here recently, almost 9 times out of 10, they would reply, "just wait till the winter" and give me that 'Yikes' look.

I'm trying to make the best of the situation as best as I can. You can only do so much on unemployment. I still don't have any friends here, which is ridiculously sad, considering we have been here about seven months now. I also didn't realize that most of the cape is all older folk. I guess if I wanted to join some sort of a group to meet people, I can hit up the nearest senior center for bridge night, but I don't think I'm quit there yet. I'd rather hang out with my cats all day. Hmm, maybe I am.

So what's to do when you can't find a job and are sitting in the midst of a snow storm? Kitchen Yoga! That's right. Not quit sure what I'm talking about? Well, me either, but I'm starting my own revolution. I may have failed to mention in any of the other blogs that the place we moved into is super small. It's not even an apartment, I'd finally realized its more of a studio. We couldn't even fit our sectional couch into the "living room" upon our move in, so we had to make the bedroom area our living room and the living room the bedroom. You with me? Most of our stuff is in storage and we still can walk past each other in the hallways without falling into a wall. We had to do some major re-arranging when we got our Christmas tree too! The congestion and frustration of the size of our place has depressed me for awhile now and I was talking with one of my best friends the other day and she had suggested that I read the Secret and do yoga. Well, after I told her to fuck off for the millionth time, I had given some slight thought to the yoga thing. She has been talking about that damn Secret book since Oprah debuted it on her book club. I am not willing to subject myself to that book, but the yoga thing, ...that might take my mind off of stuff. Then, I realized that my place is so small you can't even lie down on the ground to do yoga. I went back to being depressed and cried a little.

Upon trying to make Christmas cookies the other night, I realized after I burnt them, that the only place large enough to lie down or stretch out is the kitchen. Go figure. I have been wanting to work out, but on an unemployment budget, that's not really in the cards. So, I realized that if I set my laptop up on the kitchen counter and grab a blanket for my floor mat and search Youtube for Yoga exercises, then I can have a full fledged spiritual awakening in my very own kitchen! How many people can say they got their bikini ready body by doing downward dog while watching your Christmas cookies burn? I'm willing to bet not many.

This is the living room, that we had to turn into the bedroom because the couch couldn't fit


The kitchen during move in...largest room in the place

No comments:

Post a Comment