80 mph winds Vs. Shingles

Just picture me sitting Indian style on my living room floor, a blanket draped around my neck like a cape with a baseball bat in my hand, rocking back and forth anxiously. Boston has been railed with a blizzard and we are getting the ass end of the deal with hurricane force winds on the cape. Every time a huge gust of wind starts to whip up, it sounds like a Mack truck and I feel like it's going t drive itself right through a window or worse, rip off the roof. You can hear every single shingle,shutter,and window pane every time Old Man Winter decides to blow his horn.

Cut to: Me in my living room, looking like some ridiculous superhero. Some superhero I would be. How many hero's do you know that can battle wind? Wind with a baseball bat at that. I don't even know why I got the baseball bat anyways. I'm not fighting off burglars or wolves. Strange defense mechanism maybe? Who knows. I had left earlier in the day to run some errands and got a small taste of what exactly is going on out there today and all those reasons should have kept me in the house at that. There were so many trees down everywhere. Most main streets where clear, but a lot of debris from the tree's. The cape is a heavily wooded area, so there where many old trees through out the woods that have just come down, snapped right in the middle. Yikes! I bought a new car right before we moved out here and like I have stated before, luck is NOT on my side. I am hoping that one of those tree's don't snap and end up on top of my car.

To give you another example of the high winds, and my irresponsibility, when I came back home realized walking into the house that A) It was freezing cold and B) There were no cats in sight. First thought: This isn't right. Upon walking into the bedroom area, I see that the side door was wide open! I most not have locked it the other night (we set off the smoke detector when we were making dinner and needed a quick vent. This is what happens when you live in a small space and the kitchen does not come with a hood/fan. This is probably illegal) and the wind blew it right open. The poor cats were probably freezing. We were gone for at least an hour and found them all in little cubbies around the house. Oppsie.

So far, no broken glass and no tree's landing in or on the house. Shingles are still in tact,I think. These winds are insane. This is worse then Earl back in September, which was a bit of a disappointment. Back to my lame superhero outfit and bat back on the floor. At least I'm prepared, but prepared for what exactly?

See, this is what I don't want on the roof, or my car

No comments:

Post a Comment