My Colorado Lovefest

May 10, 2010

I have never been through Utah so I was pretty excited today. We didn't get to go through any cool cities, like Salt Lake, but one day, right? St. George was nice. Pretty red rock mountains. Very cool. I was real close to buying a Mormon cook book but then remembered I am not Mormon and I don't like to cook. So I saved 12 bucks.

Colorado.
My favorite although, may have been a curse. It started out towards the end of Utah. Our truck hit a piece of metal or steel in the middle of the freeway. Chris' parents were driving, and we were leading the way. We managed to dodge it, but they were unsuccessful. I watched the tire hit the debris and shoot out like a rocket onto the shoulder of the road. Since we didn't get a phone call I assumed everything was OK. Wrong. Once we got to Grand Junction Co., we stopped for gas. His Dad then told us that we had a flat tire. We called Budget and within 30 minutes, the guy was there fixing the tire and we were on our way. It was actually amazing to see that happen that quick. Then we drove another 100 miles and stayed the night in a beautiful little town I fell in love with called Glenwood Springs. If Massachusetts doesn't work out...that's my next move :)We were warned not to drive the Rockies at night. Enough said. Well the next morning, we were supposed to leave at 6am, and Chris' Mom informed us they heard a strange noise coming from the truck, so we had to wait to get it checked out. Turned out that the whatever that piece of metal was somehow broke the carrier barring. I'm not going to act like I know what that is, he told us it's a very important piece to the truck and in more ways then one holds the truck together. Enough said. It looked like we were staying another night in my new favorite town. Yay for me! Then, the parents volunteered to drive back 100 miles to Grand Junction, pick up the part from Chevy (it was going to be shipped to us the next day if we didn't go get it) and drive it back to the Best Western parking lot where the mechanic would work on it on site. Well, we were about a day off schedule. So off they went.

While the truck issue was being worked on...we decided we would hit a local trail. Wyatt Earps buddy Doc Holiday was supposedly buried in a cemetery high up in this trail head and there was a memorial for him, so Chris, Roxi and I hung out with the deceased for a bit. Very beautiful cemetery. Eroded for sure, but I found a grave there from 1820! We also found unmarked grave stakes and old headstones of confederate soldiers. Pretty Neat! Then Chris and I drove ahead and had lunch in Veil and he showed me Breckenridge, where he's been skiing a few times.

The Rockies were cool. I saw snow for the first time in about 6 years I think. Denver...I have no thought on that. Onto Nebraska...


Natural Hot Spring...didn't get to go in, but I will be back


Path leading to trail head...


Cemetery where Doc is buried somewhere.


Doc Holiday's Mermorial


Veil, CO


The Rockies

No comments:

Post a Comment